TAOS IMMIGRANT ALLIES – AUGUST NEWSLETTER – 2020
Things are still tough in Taos. With restaurant restrictions limiting customers and hotels still at low occupancy many of our local immigrants have not been back to work. We are still busy answering urgent requests for financial assistance, and have GIVEN OUT OVER $37,000 IN AID SINCE MAY. THANKS TO OUR GENEROUS DONORS IN TAOS we have been able to help OVER 110 FAMILIES, including homeless people, seniors, single parents, and disabled people that have nowhere else to turn.
OUR FUNDS ARE DWINDLING QUICKLY! We would like to be able to continue this work until the crisis has passed and people are back to work. This means we are asking again for whatever you can donate. Help us help those who cook our food, serve us in restaurants, clean our hotel rooms and our houses, and keep our economy humming, our neighbors who receive no government assistance and are in dire straits right now.
We continue to coordinate and upgrade the Little Free Pantries around town (9 of them). They are kept clean and stocked. Our community has really stepped up, and we have stewards watching over the LFPs, stocking them on a very regular basis as they are being heavily used for emergency food supplies at all times of the day and night. And if you are interested in VOLUNTEERING, we can use more LFP stewards,and please consider helping us keep the pantries stocked by buying a few extra things next time you shop!
We also strongly recommend everyone see IMMIGRATION NATION if you have Netflix. WE all need to be aware of what is happening to our neighbors!
Please continue your financial support. It is gravely needed now. And please keep our undocumented neighbors, friends and coworkers in your thoughts!
Here are just some of the thanks we’ve received, which are for you!
“With all my heart, I thank you very much” “God bless”
“Dios la bendiga” “Que Dios te cuide” “Estamos tan agradecidos”
With gratitude and concern,
Bea, Del, Jean, Susann, Wendy, Becky and Jacob
There are several different ways you can donate to TIA:
- you can go to our GoFund Me page: gofundme.com/f/taos-immigrant-
- TIA is fiscally sponsored by B’nai Shalom HavurahAnyone wanting to give a tax deductible donation to TIA can send a check made to B’nai Shalom Havura with TIA written on the memo line. An acknowledgement will be sent for tax purposes. Please include your email. B’nai Shalom Havurah, is a Jewish organization that has been active in Taos since the early 1980’s and is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation.
- If you do NOT need a tax deduction for your contribution, it is best to make the check payable to Taos United with TIA on the memo line. Send all mail toTaos Immigrant Allies P.O. Box 2287 Taos, NM 87571
- take a look at our website: www.taosimmigrantallies.org
- and our facebook page: www.facebook.com/