About Taos United Education Committee
The Education committee has been active in promoting legislative action that would enhance and benefit public education in Taos and throughout New Mexico. We also are active in monitoring and promoting action when needed regarding federal legislation and policies. Most of our action to date includes:
- Looking at how public education is funded in N.M.
- Exploring options for increasing funding for public education in N.M.
- Preparation of flyers providing information to the public regarding the history and position of the candidates running for offices in the 2018 primaries and November election.
- Promoting local public awareness and support for legislation that would be beneficial to the ongoing and future public education process for all in N.M. during the 2019 N.M. Legislative sessions.
- Developing relations and communication with the local Public School District through meeting with the Superintendent of Taos Schools, Dr. Lillian Torrez.
Our goals are to continue to promote legislative action and public awareness; as well as developing support on all issues related to providing an effective and beneficial public education to all of our young folks. An effective education should successfully prepare them for their lives and as citizens in this rapidly changing world.
We are open to new and interested members willing to take action and develop ideas contributing toward those goals.
May 17th : Taos Teacher Appreciation Luncheon
May 22nd: Taos Education Summit
Taos School Board Elections
- Deadline for declaring candidacy: August 27th between 9 AM and 5 PM.
- Election date: November 5th, 2019.
There are three vacancies. Representation from the Pueblo and Talpa are needed.
For more information or to join, contact: Dion Smith : email@example.com